Top 10 Places You Must Visit India with Your Family
Travelling with family is both a wonderful treat and a big responsibility. The responsibility starts from choosing the destination. You cannot blindly choose a destination. The destination you pick should be family-friendly.You should find enough amount of attractions that enthusiasts all members of your family. When it comes to India, you need not worry about it as there are a lot of family destinations here.
1. The Golden Triangle
The Golden Triangle is not a single place. The Agra, Jaipur and Delhi are collectively known as the Golden Triangle. Since the three cities are located geographically in a crude triangle shape, the tour is called the Golden Triangle. If you search for family friendly tours in North India, this would be the first suggestion from many people. Delhi has a long list of monuments like India Gate, Qutub Minar and others. Agra is known for its own collection of Mughal styled forts and Garden. Of course, Taj Mahal is not something to avoid in Agra. Jaipur is a land of forts. You can find a lot of Rajasthani styled architecture, natural attractions and others.
Top family friendly activities in Golden Triangle trip are
- Monument visits in Delhi
- Shopping at Janpath, Sarojini Market and others in Delhi
- Taj Mahal, Yamuna river bank and Agra fort in Agra
- Amer fort elephant ride in Jaipur
- Hawa Mahal and other monuments in Jaipur
- Shopping in Jaipur at Johri Bazaar.
The best time to visit is from October to March. Taj Mahal is closed on every Friday. So, plan your trip accordingly.
Suggested Tour : 5 Days – Golden Triangle Holiday Package
2. Himachal Pradesh
Himachal Pradesh has adventure activities for youngsters like trekking, rafting and others, scenic beauty for kids and elders and jeep safari for the whole family. This place is a paradise for families with teenage children. Satisfying teenagers is not an easy task unless you are in Himachal Pradesh. Make sure to pick your activities properly. Not all activities would suite children or senior citizens. For instance, not all trekking routes are child-friendly.
Top family activities in Himachal Pradesh are
- Manali and Rohtang Pass for family sightseeing
- Shimla for a romantic or family hill station stay
- Mc Leodganj and Solang Valley for adventure activities
- Kufri for unique Yak rides
Best time to visit is from April to June or, from November to February. Make sure to pack a lot of woolen clothing.
Suggested Tour : 8 Days – Himachal Hill Station Tour
Kashmir is a wonderful romantic, picturesque and relaxing place. It is called as mini Switzerland. This place is a romantic capital and a common honeymoon spot in India. If you visit at the right time, it is a paradise that you never knew.
Top family activities in Kashmir are
- Srinagar’s shikara rides and houseboats
- Gulmarg for adventure activities like skiing
- Scenic attractions like Baisaran valley in Pahalgam
If you are really interested in skiing, you can take crash course from many institutes here. The best time to visit is from April to June. If you want a snow filled vacation with skiing and others; choose between December and February.
Suggested Tour : 10 Days – Kashmir With Taj Mahal Tour
4. Andaman and Nicobar Islands
No other place in India can fit exactly in family vacation spot, bachelor pad vacation, romantic honeymoon vacation and every other type of vacation. The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are a group of islands in the Indian Ocean. You can find lush rain forests, sandy beaches, warm lagoons, coral reefs, tropical climate, turquoise sea and many others here.
Top attractions that can be enjoyed as a family are
- Scuba diving in Havelock islands for starters
- Relaxed evening at the light and sound show in the Cellular Jail
- Numerous beaches for picnicking and strolling
- Water attractions and water sports in various beaches
The best time to visit this place is from November to April.
They call it as God’s Own Country for a reason. This place is a narrow strip of coastal land lining the Arabian Sea. It has everything from culture to backwaters for a wonderful family time. This place is visited by all kinds of people. Your whole family would be interested in taking a trip to Kerala.
Suggested Tour : 5 Days – Kerala Backwater Tour Package
Read More : Top 7 Water Activities Kerala is Famous For!
Top family time attractions in Kerala are
- Elephant camp where you can bath, feed and ride on elephants
- Hill stations in Kerala
- Houseboat or cruise on backwaters of Alleppey
- Beach of Kovalam
- Wayanad and Thekkady tree house and other natural attractions like waterfalls and others
- Ayurvedic massages
Suggested Tour : 7 Days – Rejuvenating Ayurveda Tour Kerala
This is an evergreen tourist place. But, if you want to enjoy a lot of water based activities, it is better to visit between September and April.
Suggested Tour : 10 Days – Best of Kerala Tour
British who ruled the country for several years considered Nainital as a holiday getaway place in India. It was an attraction for many centuries. You can find a lot of natural elements and other tourist attractions here. The best of all that Nainital holds is the Jim Corbett National Park. This park is located a little away from the heart of Nainital. It takes about three hours to reach the park from Nainital. This park is a popular wildlife attraction. Every year more than seventy thousand tourists visit this park.
Suggested Tour : 11 Days – Golden Triangle and Corbett Tour
Top family attractions in Nainital are
- Jim Corbett National Park’s jeep safari
- Boating at Naini lake
- Tiger spotting at Govind Ballabh Zoo
- Scenic view of Himalayas from Tiffin top
If you are travelling with a teenage child, you can stay in the wildlife resort inside the national park for some thrilling effect. The best time to visit the park is June. The best time to visit Nainital is from June to November.
Mumbai is the womb of Bollywood movies. It is called as the city of dreams. You can find a lot of attractions that are typical to an ultramodern coastal city. There are a lot of weekend getaways from Mumbai too. The best way to enjoy Mumbai is to visit the place during festivals. But, if you are travelling with a child, festival season might not be the right one as the place would be extremely crowded.
Top attractions in Mumbai for family travellers are
- All sightseeing spots
- Elephant caves and other islands around Mumbai
- A weekend beach getaway to Lonavala. You can also choose Nashik or Shirdi if you want to add some religious touch to elder family members.
- Marine drive and other water related activities
- Shopping at Band stand and other markets
The city is very hot and humid in summer. Thus, best time to visit Mumbai is between September and March.
Read More : How to Reach Mumbai
Suggested Tour : 4 Days – Mumbai Sightseeing Tour
Puri is a religious place for Hindus. This does not mean that it would not suite a family vacation. It is a beautiful city with a lot of natural attractions. Rath Yatra festival is very famous and colourful. But, if you are travelling with small children, festival spots would be too crowded and should be avoided.
Top family activities to enjoy in Puri are;
- Enjoying salt water lagoon and bird watching
- Visiting sun temple for architectural beauty
- Beach related activities
The best time to visit this place is from August to March. If you want to visit the place during the Rath festival, plan your trip in June or July.
9. Hill Stations of South India
There are a lot of hill stations in South India like Ooty, Kodaikanal, Coorg, Munnar, Arakku hills and so on. I am clubbing all hill stations together to make you understand that all hill stations would provide a good base for family vacations. Since Munnar is already explained under Kerala, we will talk about the other hill stations. Each hill station has different elements of beauty. But, the types of activities in each hill station would not be very different from others.
Suggested Tour : 6 Days – South India Hill Stations Tour
The top tourist activities to enjoy as a family are
- Boating and other water related activities
- Enjoying sun set or sun rise from any peak
- Walking through coffee plantations or tea gardens
If you are planning to choose one of the hill stations;
- Coorg is famous for Raja’s seat, Abbey Falls, Bylakupee settlement, plantations, wildlife sanctuaries and the refreshing climate. The best time to visit is from October to June.
- Ooty – do not miss the toy train travel from Mettupalayam to Ooty. Other attractions are botanical garden, Ooty Lake, Dotabetta peak, deer park and other sightseeing spots. This place is at its prime beauty throughout the year.
- Kodaikanal is famous for its lakes, Coaker’s walk, telescope house, rose garden and others. The best time to visit is between April and June or between September and November.
- The Arakku hill is famous for sightseeing, coffee plantation, peak views and lakes. It is a year round attraction. There are a lot of tourist spots in Arakku and among them Paderu is the most sought one.
Also Read : Top 10 Places to Visit in South India
Suggested Tour : 10 Days – South India Tour with Goa
Darjeeling is a hill station that gives a perfect view of Himalayas. Family travelers visit this place to enjoy the nature, flora and water related activities. It is called as the honeymoon capital of India by many. The best activity to enjoy in Darjeeling is the toy train that takes you from New Jalpaiguri to Darjeeling. Other tourist attractions for family travelers are;
- Ghoom monastery
- Sightseeing, botanical garden, cable car and other natural attractions
- Sun set view from Tiger Hills
- Stroll in a tea garden
- Rangit valley
Suggested Tour : 5 Days – Darjeeling Tour Packages
This is a tourist spot that stays in its prime beauty throughout the year.
Read More : Tips for First Time Darjeeling Travellers
Suggested Tour : 8 Days – Darjeeling Kalimpong Gangtok Tour Packages
When it comes to spending quality time with your special ones, it is hard to choose a destination that satisfies every unique mind in the family. If you pick any of these ten destinations, you would not be disappointed. There are a lot of other family friendly places in India like Goa, Srinagar, Jaisalmer, Manali, Matheran, Mussoorie, Bir billing and others.
Also Read : What to Do in India with Kids
Popular Tour Packages for Family Vacation :
- 8 Days – Golden Triangle with Bharatpur Tours
- 10 Days – Golden moments in India Tour
- 10 Days – Rajasthan Tour With Taj Mahal
- 11 Days – Religious Family Packages India
- 12 Days – Golden Triangle with Kerala Backwater Tour
- 12 Days – Kerala Family Tour Packages
- 13 Days – Southern India Experience Tour
- 16 Days – Best of India Tours
Latest posts by Alina Jack (see all)
- Top 10 Places to Visit in India in March - December 21, 2017
- Top 10 Wonders of India for an Epic Vacation - December 14, 2017
- 11 Things That Will Make You Fall In Love with Nepal - November 29, 2017