Beginners’ Indian Travel Guide – Wildlife Safari
The Indian subcontinent is filled with various styled wildlife sanctuaries where you can enjoy nature in the way it is intended to. In India, you can experience wildlife safari experience in many different types of landforms like desert, dense forest, swamp, snow filled area and others.
Safari can be differentiated into various types based on the type of vehicle you choose. The most common one is the jeep safari. Other exotic types of safari are elephant safari, camel safari and others. In certain types of wildlife sanctuary, boat safari would be the only option. On the other hand, you can also scale the place on foot. Before you start your trip to spot some majestic animals, here are some tips that would help you to be prepared for all situations and enjoy the wildlife trip without any resistance.
Ditch your Guide
Not all travel guides would be naturalist. It is better to avoid your common travel guide and choose the wildlife sanctuary guide for your safari. If your guide insists on spending less time in safari and more time in other sightseeing, there is no point in dragging him into this experience. You can find safari guides at many sanctuaries who can help you spot animals, share interesting information and make the trip more enjoyable one. Choose your guide wisely.
Suggested Tour : 13 Nights Kerala Wildlife Tour Package
Be Prepared for the Time
Safari is not a show in which you can spot tigers and other animals immediately. Sometimes, it can take several minutes before you spot an animal worthy of the wait. Patience is important. If you choose the tourist season for safari, you can find animals with their cubs. Else, spotting even a common animal would be time consuming.
Also Read : Wildlife Sanctuaries and Parks of Goa
Say Yes to Rest Room Break
Before you start your safari experience, you ought to take a rest room break. As stated before, it would take a lot of time. If possible, have a light snack before you start. Water is very essential thing to keep in the backpack. Even if you are in a jeep safari, thirst is inevitable if you are in a humid place.
Read More : Top 5 Luxury Wildlife Resorts In India
If Taking Children
It is better to avoid taking children if you are choosing to scale the sanctuary on foot. If you are on a bus, jeep or elephant; children would enjoy. Always have some entertainment for them. Food and water for children should be bought as it is impossible to predict their behaviour.
Entertainment and adventure experience are very essential; but, not as essential as your life. So, keep in mind that you are about to spot some viably dangerous animals. Strictly follow all the tips provided by your guide. If there is a sign about avoiding feeding animals, do not feed animals. There is a perfect reason why that post has been erected in that particular area.
Also Read : 11 Days – South India Wildlife Tour
Camera is an important accessory during a wildlife holiday. But, remember that you would be picking up a lot of dust especially if you are visiting a sanctuary in landscapes like desert, semi ever green forest and others. The dust can damage your camera’s lens. Thus, protect your camera lens always. If you miss clicking a tiger, you might find another. If your lens gets damaged, you would end up using your smartphone.
Know What to Wear
Not all wildlife sanctuary is humid. There are snow based sanctuaries too. So, research about the location and climate. Pack accordingly. To be safe, it is always better to wear a few extra layers. If hot, you can remove them. Bright colored clothing would attract animals. Stick to khaki color or dull green. Hat is an essential accessory. Thick socks and shoe should be worn always.
Some Do’s and Don’ts
- Carry a medical kit which includes an alcohol based hand sanitizer, bandages and cotton.
- Do not disturb animals. You can enjoy your safari by spotting them from a distance.
- It is important to capture those experiences in your camera. But, wait for your guide’s order. If flash is prohibited, please heed to the instruction.
- Be cautious about animals you find in the safari even if the animal is too small, looks fluffy or cute. They are wildlife animals and even an herbivorous would attack for its safety. So, keep distance and avoid feeding them.
- Do not lit fire or smoke while you are in a safari. A jungle fire can be disastrous.
- Littering is offensive
These common mistakes might either cause disturbance in your entertainment or even be dangerous. Always stick to the rules and have a fun filled safari. Top wildlife sanctuary for safari are Ranthambore National Park in Rajasthan, Periyar Wildlife Sanctuary in Kerala, Sunderban Tiger Reserve in West Bengal, Bandipur National Park in Karnataka, Bandhavgarh National Park in Madhya Pradesh, Corbett Tiger Reserve in Uttarakhand, Kaziranga National Park in Assam and many others.
Read More : Top Wildlife Sanctuaries to Visit in India
Popular Tour Packages to explore Indian Wildlife :
- 5 Days – Corbett Wildlife Tour
- 9 Days – Elephant Safari India
- 11 Days – Bird Watching Tour India
- 14 Days – Wildlife Safari India
- 14 Days – East India Wildlife Tour
- 15 Days – North India Wildlife Cultural Tour
- 22 Days – India Jungle Tour with Cultural Holiday
Latest posts by Alina Jack (see all)
- Go Solo With These 20 World-Class Destinations - April 2, 2018
- Top Tourist Attractions in and Around Thekkady, Kerala - March 15, 2018
- Top Places to Visit in Kodaikanal – The Gift of Forest - March 1, 2018