What to Know About Travelling by Train in India?
No visit to India is a complete vacation without spending some time in the train. You would witness a hustle in the railway station with vendors, passengers and others. Do not get astonished by the images you had seen in social media about overcrowded trains in India.True, such trains do exists. But, if you are looking for some vacation travelling, you can find tickets in reserved compartments, AC or first class to make sure that you have a civilized and comfortable travel. What more should you learn about travelling by train in India?
- Most of the important trains get filled many months before the departure date. You need to pre-book tickets at least four months in prior to your travel to make sure that you have one.
- You can either book tickets through the Indian site, irctc.co.in or through any travel agency. You can also buy tickets from the station. But, considering the above point in mind, it is better to stick to the first two options.
- There are a lot of types of classes of tickets. If you are planning a comfortable journey, you can opt for AC First class which is a little expensive but, you can be sure about the cleanliness of berth, sheets, pillows and others. A little low variant is the AC two tier. There is third class AC, second class, third class and unreserved class too.
- Trains are always on time but, there are a lot of incidences where they are hours late. It is always better to carry some entertainment with you. Do not worry, all trains have electric outlet for charging your gadgets.
- You might experience a lot of staring and giggles if you are planning on taking third class or unreserved coaches. Do not worry about your safety; they are just curious to see a foreigner.
- There would be no buffet cars in Indian train. Food and water should be brought along or should be bought from the vendors. A government run catering service is also available in Indian railways.
- Cleanliness of toilet depends on the type of tickets you hold. First class coaches would have relatively cleaner toilets. If you are not comfortable, bring a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of hand sanitizer with you.
- Your luggage is your responsibility. Make sure to take care of your belongings. If you are planning an over-night travel, bring some padlocks to lock your luggage with the foot of the bed.
- If you are looking for a luxurious experience, there are luxurious trains available which is similar to vintage train trips like Royal Rajasthan on Wheels, Palace on Wheels and so on. This luxury train would be a totally different experience than travelling in a normal train.
- There are toy trains in many hill stations which are considered to be a tourist attraction. If you are anywhere near a hill station and do not have time for a normal train travel, you can opt for the toy trains.
- Always have any identification document with you along with your passport. It is not a necessity to show your passport, but it is safer to have all your documents in hand.
- You are not allowed to smoke or drink inside the compartment. Make sure to stick to the rules of the Indian Railways to avoid any problems.
It is always a pleasure to lean back and watch countryside and other natural attractions pass by as you ride in a rhythmic manner in a train. Try to incorporate at least one train travel in your schedule.
Latest posts by Travelogy India (see all)
- Top 20 Places You Must Visit In Andaman and Nicobar Islands - June 3, 2017
- Top Places to Visit in Mahabalipuram - April 22, 2017
- 20 Best Places to Visit in India in May - March 28, 2017