Tips for First Time Darjeeling Travellers
Darjeeling is not just a simple hill station. It has lovely scenic places, landscapes, villages and a rich diverse collection of flora and fauna. Starting from lake to monasteries, you can enjoy a lot here. Are you planning to visit Darjeeling for the first time? Here are a few tips for the same.
- Cover certain destinations at early in the morning or during sunset like Tiger Hills, Old Ghoom Monasteries, Batasia Loop and others.
- Do not miss the toy train ride that starts in Darjeeling. The train gets booked fast and thus, book in advance. It is a heritage site with just two coaches.
- There are a few small places around Darjeeling. When you are visiting Darjeeling, do not just stick with the city. Other surrounding places and attractions like Mirik, Kalimpong, Simana and others are interesting tourist destinations too.
- You would need to do a lot of walking. Not all destinations can be reached by a vehicle. Have a sports shoe or any walking shoe.
- If you are taking your child with you, have ear mufflers. Ear blockage and pain are common in children when you reach higher altitude.
- Do not fall for any fraudulent tour guides. Get a guide from your hotel or hire a reputed one.
- Travelling within the city is easier with cab. Agree on a fare before you get into the cab.
- The Darjeeling cuisine is mostly tangy food. If you are looking for other cuisines, you can find varying hotels. Always carry your own water as safe drinking water will not be available everywhere. Do not miss the Darjeeling tea.
- Have some warm clothes as the day will be cold and the nights will be very chilly. Unpredictable showers are very common so, have umbrella with you.
- If you are planning on using road transportation to reach Darjeeling via cab from Siliguri. The scenic beauty on the way from Siliguri to Darjeeling is breathtaking and you can travel through many forests and beautiful hill background roads.
- Do not miss sunrise across the hills of Himalayas.
- April to June is the summer tourism time in Darjeeling. The place will be very mild cold and most of the flowering plants would not be in bloom. But, the place will be a little less crowded and you can get better deals in hotels and others. The best time to visit this place is from October to March.
- Sightseeing and relaxation are the most common activities in Darjeeling if you visit in summer. You cannot take up any winter sports activities including trekking.
- Heavy rainfall is possible between July and September. Darjeeling city drenched in rain is the best picturesque place in the country.
- Certain tips are common for all states in India like dress considerably, always have a pack of wet wipes and some dry fruits with you, stick to busy streets and avoid interior roads and have a medical kit with you with all necessary medicines.
- Darjeeling is the most romantic place in the country. This does not mean any pair of people you see is a couple. Hand holding and hugging within the same sex is common in India. Considering someone as homosexual is a very big offense.
- The roads towards Gangtok from Darjeeling would be in bad condition. It is better not to choose those if you are visiting for the very first time.
- There are hotels in varying budgets for accommodation. There are budget hotels and even hotels that would cost more than 5,000 rupees per day. If you are looking for a beautiful place to stay, choose Kurseong.
Your belongings are your responsibility. Though cities in India are considerably safe, your safety is your duty. Do not trust everyone you see on the way. Stick to an itinerary but, be flexible too. A lot of cultural programs happen from time to time. If you have time, you can visit any program or cultural event. Keep your travel insurance ready in case of mishaps. Researches in detail about the place you are about to stay and the list of places you want to enjoy prior to your departure date.
Also Read : Complete Guidelines for Your Ladakh Road Trip
Suggested Tour Packages :
- 5 Days – Darjeeling Tour Packages
- 7 Days – Darjeeling Gangtok Tour Packages
- 8 Days – Darjeeling Kalimpong Gangtok Tour